"My house is a mess!" I hear you cry. When you're busy, clutter can build until it's taking over your life. You don't know where to start to clear it up and can't face it. But looking at the mess can be depressing. So here are my top tips for decluttering:
- Start with the area that is worst or that drives you mad the most.
- Try and get someone to help you who can offer a different (and honest!) opinion.
- Put aside a chunk of time where you can work through the mess without distractions.
- Buy something tasty for your tea break so you've got something nice to look forward to!
- Get 4 boxes or bin bags ready - these can be grouped into: bin, recycle, charity and sell. Anything else you keep.
- If you haven't used it in a year, and won't use it in the next year, it has to go, unless it has sentimental value.
- Sell things on ebay, local facebook pages or car boot / table top sales.
- Many items can be recycled, check with your local council.
- Charity shops are always grateful for donations.
- Buy some new storage to stop you going back to your old ways
When it's done you'll feel a great sense of reward and relief. You will enjoy the extra space and the money from the sale of unwanted items.
But remember that piles of stuff are the thin end of the wedge. Ultimately you have to change your behavior and put stuff away as you go, or it will all creep back....!
Berkshire Lifestyle Concierge have lots of experience at decluttering and can help you get your life in order. They'll help you sort through your stuff and get rid of the junk you don't want. Get in touch for a free consultation: 07587 170707.